Monday, December 2, 2013

Field Journal #10: An Abstract Abyss Towards Optical Illusions

The day is finally here, the last field journal entry for the class. I was pretty hesitant about choosing a topic in this week's reading because I know it'll be my last entry (other than the final) and I've grown an attachment towards these entries every week. Enough of my rambling, here's today's field journal. 

Of all the concepts mentioned in these two chapters, I had a connection with the rise of Japanese design section not because of half of my heritage, but how they incorporated influences from others to make new designs, yet keeping their roots. A design that caught my attention was Takenobu Igarashi's poster for the Kanagawa Art Festival, "a universe composed of dots evokes infinite time and space" (Meggs 490). I felt the ambiguity lying within this poster coming from the one shape it utilized, which was a simple circle. A circle, according to geometry, has an infinite amount of angles, and combining a bunch of circles, varying in different sizes, to form a warp-like space continuum.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/178103360237094044/


After being "mesmerized" from the abyss-like space warp, it reminded me of optical illusions. Well, this one is easier on the eyes, not being as effective as others, but it could be one of the pioneering influences in optical illusions. We know the ones where we look at a certain pattern and they start to move or ones that look like one thing, but can also be interpreted as something else such as the glass/two people and the rabbit/duck.

http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/saishin-e.html


http://www.thunderboy.org/Pics/Optical%20Illusions/Optical%20Illusion_030.html

http://www.spring.org.uk/2012/01/duckrabbit-illusion-provides-a-simple-test-of-creativity.php


The difference between these illusions and Igarashi's poster is the lacking of theme, but aside from that they are relatable in the sense of being "illusions." Other than entertainment or even pleasure, I'm not too sure what optical illusions can be utilized for. Maybe they might be used on some designs such as Igarashi's poster, or consist of an improvised version of an illusion, but I don't see optical illusions stepping out in the design industry as "masterpieces" or "the next Mona Lisa." A simple brain-teaser or interpretive image is a perfect category for them (in my opinion of course). However, I'm not too sure if the 3D chalk art seen on streets/roads count as illusions, but I'll just include one at the bottom just for fun. Enjoy!

http://pelfind.com/photo/85605p1822802/stunning-optical-illusions-created-by-street-chalk-artists

No comments:

Post a Comment